State of Montana State Land Recreation Permit

Many of our sites are on State of Montana land managed by the DNRC. You must have a permit to recreate, this includes hiking to or from a site on or across State land, launching or landing on State land.

This license can be purchased online LINK TO DNRC SITE

You can also purchase the permit in person at Fish Wildlife & Parks (FWP) or most outdoor stores, Sportsman’s Warehouse, Bob Wards, Walmart, or anywhere that you would purchase a hunting or fishing license. If you have a current hunting or fishing license for Montana state, Recreational use is included as part of the $2 ‘Conservation license’, and you do not need any additional licensure for non-commercial use.

Additional state licensure is required for commercial use of state land.